Frank Zane is an American former professional bodybuilder and teacher. He was born on June 28, 1942 in Pennsylvania , USA . After receiving his Bachelor of Science degree from Wilkes University in 1964, he taught mathematics and Chemistry for thirteen years in Florida and California . Later he secured a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology. He also succeeded in obtaining a master's degree in Experimental Psychology. Zane has a height of 5'9” (1.75 m). His contest weight is about 185 lbs while his Off Season Weight hovers around 200 lbs.
A three-time Mr Olympia (1977 to 1979), Zane's proportionate physique featured the second thinnest waistline, with his wide shoulders making for a distinctive V-taper.
FRANK ZANE'S BODYBUILDING TITLES
Frank Zane has a very impressive list of Bodybuilding Competitions that he entered during his great career.
1961 Mr. Pennsylvania 17th
1962 Mr. Keystone 1st
1963 Mr. Keystone 2nd
1965 Mr. Sunshine State 1st
1965 IFBB Mr. Universe Medium 1st
1966 IFBB Mr. America Medium 1st
1967 IFBB Mr. America Medium 1st
1967 IFBB Mr. Universe Tall 3rd
1968 IFBB Mr. America Medium 1st & Overall
1968 Mr. Universe Short 1st & Overall
1970 Amateur Mr. Universe Winner
1971 NABBA Pro Mr. Universe Short 1st
1972 Pro Mr. Universe Short 1st & Overall
1972 Mr. Olympia 4th
1974 Mr. Olympia 2nd
1976 Mr. Olympia 2nd
1977 Mr. Olympia 1st
1978 Mr. Olympia 1st
1979 Mr. Olympia 1st
1980 Mr. Olympia 3rd
1982 Mr. Olympia 2nd
1983 Mr. Olympia 4 th
Predecessor - Franco Columbu
Successor - Arnold Schwarzenegger
POST CARREER ACHIEVEMENTS
- In 1994, Frank Zane was inducted into the first annual Weider Hall of Fame.
- He was awarded the Arnold Schwarzenegger Lifetime Achievement award at the 2003 Arnold classic for his dedication and promotion towards bodybuilding.
- Frank and his wife Christine owned and operated Zane Haven in 1985, where they conducted sessions with clients who desired a symmetrical physique.
- In 2005, Zane was the IFBB announcer. In the same year, he also worked as consulting producer in the movie ‘See Arnold Run'.
- Since 2006, Zane has been on the constant run, appearing at seminars and book signings.
- In 2011, Frank made an appearance in the documentary film ‘challenging Impossibility' wherein he described the weightlifting odyssey of spiritual teacher and peace advocate Sri Chinmoy.
- Frank Zane has authored a number of books some of which are:
- The Zane Way to a Beautiful Body(1979)
- Super Bodies in 12 Weeks (1982)
- Zane Nutrition (1986)
- Fabulously Fit Forever (1992)
- ]Frank Zane: Mind, Body, Spirit (1997)
- Frank Zane Training Manual (2005)
- The Mind in Bodybuilding (2009)
- Since 1998, Zane has been writing a newsletter entitled ‘Frank Zane Newsletter'. This document provides the latest information in all aspects of bodybuilding ns also promotes the aesthetic physique.
FRANK ZANE ON BODYBUILDING
Frank states, “Winners always set standards in all endeavours, especially in a visual art form like bodybuilding. So when winners look more pleasing, bodybuilding gets more publicity and the sport grows in popularity.”
As a teacher, Zane tells his students, “My goal is education on how to build the classic proportionate physique.”
Recalling his past, he says, “When in my twenties, I did almost anything wrong in the gym. I did too many exercises for each muscle group. Progress versus wear and tear.”
He further adds, “Circuit training is an excellent way of training to help stay motivated because you get a variety of exercises to use in the course of a training session”.
FRANK ZANE ON STEROIDS
Zane says that a young person does not require hormonal replacement for a proportionate physique. He believes that introducing excessive hormones can actually prematurely shut down the very hormonal systems they are meant to supplement. “Better to be proportional than freaky huge”, he comments.
Frank Zane is one of the only three people who own the credit of defeating Arnold Schwarzenegger in a bodybuilding contest. He is fortunately one of the very few winners of the prestigious Mr Olympia title who stands less than two hundred pounds. Zane had an illustrious career of over twenty years wherein he competed for and won Mr America , Mr Universe, Mr World and Mr Olympia. He got the nickname ‘The Chemist' due to his B.Sc. degree. But he believes that he got this name due to his scientific nature in reaching his peak on the exact day of competition, year after year. Since 2006, Zane runs his own website, and continues to train with weights even at 69.